Pinterest is rife with photos of DIY play kitchens and markets and blogs that tell you how to make them. The only problem is that those people have some level of talent and/or patience with tools, and I don't. Saws, drills, nail guns, they are not my friends. On the other hand, glue, paper, scissors -- pretty much anything you find at a craft store, I can do.
So, here is how I made a play market with no* tools:
Black plastic storage cabinet (remove doors)
6 yard sticks
1 package sticky-back velcro
1 8-oz tester pot of black latex paint
2/3 yard fabric of your choice
2/3 yard fusible backing, medium weight
2 feet decorative trim, optional
tape measure / ruler
hand saw / sandpaper, optional*
small cardboard boxes, optional
I wanted this project to be cheap and easy, sacrificing a bit of quality was okay with me. I started with a black plastic storage cabinet for $20 at Walmart. When I picked it up off the shelf, the doors fell right off. Perfect, less work for me! I chose black because it looked less cheap than white, and it was a fortunate choice for other reasons which I'll explain later.
I painted four of the yardsticks black to match the cabinet. This is where the color choice was fortunate -- the yard sticks were embossed with tick marks, numbers, Home Depot logo, etc. Black paint reduced the shadows of the embossing so it's not as noticeable.
I used sticky-back velcro to attach four of the sticks to the sides of the cabinet. Mostly because that was the simplest solution I could think of, but it also makes the canopy part removable if you want to store it somewhere. I used white velcro because that's what I had in my craft stash, and you can't even tell.
I used two pieces of velcro per stick, one toward the top of the cabinet, and the other at the bottom end of the yard stick. I did some measuring to be sure the sticks were in the same place on both sides. I placed them on the cabinet, but didn't press too hard on the velcro. I set one of the other yard sticks on top and used a level to make sure they were equal height. I moved one stick up or down as needed until it was level, and then pressed down hard on the velcro to stick it down well.
I set the front sticks lower than the back sticks so I could get a cute angle on the canopy. As you can see in the photo, I didn't bother cutting them, I just placed the front lower than the back. I also set the front sticks back a little from the front of the cabinet just so the canopy wasn't protruding as much.
I then took the remaining pieces of the yard sticks and glued them diagonally to the frame just to make it more stable. If you wanted to make two more cuts, you could put them horizontally, but I was too lazy for that. I used some extremely high tech clamps to hold them in place while they dried. Then I painted them black.